Pinblock drilling. Trying again for help!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:13:04 -0600

>Ok, good answer but how does a blind man drill two holes in
>the same place twice when the subject gets moved around a
>lot.

Same way he drills one hole in the right place the first time, only he does
it again. Sorry, I responded to your private post before I got to this one,
so if you don't want to read the same thing again - better bale now.

I drill blocks in the piano. The block doesn't move around, but the drill
press does. Drilling on the bench, the drill press doesn't move around but
the block does. The methods are functionally equivalent. Hitting the
existing hole with the second pass is far easier than hitting the punch
mark (or whatever) on the first. Because one of the two players (drill
press - block) is relatively free to move, the bit will self center if you
aren't dead on when you feed the bit down. If the bit is lowered into the
hole with anywhere near the same care as with a single pass drilling, there
won't be any detectable damage done with this self centering. I started
doing them this way because I got tired of producing poor quality pin fit
in my rebuilds with "traditional" methods. I assumed there had to be a way
that a semi-trained ape with a short attention span (that would be me)
could get a decent uniform pin fit by non mystical methods. This produced
far more uniform results, with a much less critical attention to detail, in
a similar amount of time (or at least not much more), than any other
combination of bit type, rotational and feed speed, blood sacrifices, or
resignation to my fate, that I had tried up to that point. There probably
is a better way, but this worked so well for me, in an easily maintained
low tech manner, that I didn't pursue it further.

Just trying to help, and you DID ask.

Regards,
Ron N