A Tribute to Man's best friend

Jim Kinnear jkinnear@pianoguy.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:05:36 -0500

In memory of Newton's friend . . . .

WHY DOGS ARE BETTER FISHING BUDDIES

1. Dogs are loyal, faithful and don't lie about how they've caught bigger
fish than you.

2. Dogs don't steal your favorite lures (though an especially cute puppy
might steal your heart).

3. Once back at the dock, a dogs won't tell tales about what a bad day on
the
water you had.

4. Dogs will listen to endless repetitions of your "big one" story without
complaint.

5. A dog will never arrive at your boat attired in perfectly
color-coordinated pastel fishing clothes that just scream out ... geek.

6. A dog will never drink the last beer. (The same, however, cannot be said
of the last turkey sandwich in the cooler.)

7. A dog will never try to guess how much you paid for your boat and then
snidely tell you that you should have gone to his Uncle Bubba for a better
deal.

8. Dogs rarely call at the last minute to say they're sick (especially if
there's going to be the above-mentioned cooler packed with sandwiches on
board).

9. Dogs don't demand a turn driving your brand new, ostentatiously
overpowered fishing machine.

10. A dog will never tell that you were napping when "the big one" that
you'd
waited for your entire life arrived, nibbled at your bait, and, with a
good-bye splash, left for better waters (because he will have been napping
right along side you).

I too had to put our family pet to sleep ten years ago due to an incurable
medical situation. She was older than my eldest son ( he's now 24) and we
all went to the vet for the sad event. As a parent, I thought it would
provide closure for my 3 children . . . it didn't and many times I wish
Sam(antha)  had passed in her sleep, the way nature intended.  I still miss
her.

You must have been very strong, Newton.

Jim Kinnear
www.pianoguy.com