Politics

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 15:35:24 EST

<<"If this were changed to a popular vote maybe there d be some interest in
voting in the U.S.">>

Kristinn, Richard, Robin;

 There has to be an understanding of our system of government. We are not a
'true' democracy. What we are is a 'Representative Republic'.  While in a
true democracy 'everything' is decided, on a national basis, by majority vote
of citizens, in the U.S. the 'will' of the people is expressed by their duly
elected "representatives". (or that is the theory) So in the final anaylisis
the U.S. is a 'Republic' based on 'democratic' principles.

 The words of Lincoln perhaps says it as well as can be said:
".......this Government of the people, by the people and for the people..."
The meaning of this statement is fairly clear, i.e., That the Government is
made up "of the people" and not from some elite class.......... That the
Government is made up based on decisions made "by the people" and not from
some preordained line of sucession.  That the government is run "for the
people" by their representatives which have been selected "from" and "by the
people".

 Further it must be understood that we are a nation based on the union of the
individual States which form our country and not on individual citizens or,
citys, or counties, or districts, or ethnic groups, but of the several
individual and equal States. While we as individual citizens have certain
rights which are deemed to be "unalienable" by our Constitution and Bill of
Rights..... the 'political' will of our people is expressed through the
individual States and not indiviual citizens.

  We, "the people", have extraodinary political power in that we can say and
do anything 'legal' we feel is needful to make our individual voice heard
without fear of being silenced, thrown in jail, or being killed.

  This brings us to the "Electoral College" (note I am not a particular fan
of the Electoral College) which is at the center of our current controversy.
The founders of our country wanted to protect the "people" from the
"excesses" of the "people". :-)  This is not as contradictory as it seems on
the surface though. In their, our "Founding Fathers", explanations contained
in their individual writings, collectively known as the Federalist papers,
they expressed the concern that the most populous states might place the less
populous states in a permanent position of inferiority in political matters,
which is exactly what a 'direct' popular vote would do.  Case in point.....at
the present time Bush has won the "direct popular" vote in 30 States, Gore
has won the "direct popular" vote in 18 states and 2 States are in dispute.
These States each have an "elector" count equal to their individually elected
"Representatives".

This takes us back to the words of Lincoln.."of....by...and for the
people"....the electors are elected "of" the people, "by" the people in their
individual states and their will is expressed "for" the people by their
state's designated "Electors". This system has the 'tendency' to nullify the
"tyrany" of the larger states as can be seen in the instant example of
Gore/Bush. In this instance the States for Gore are 36% while the States for
Bush are 60% of the total States, with 4%, 2 States, yet to be decided.
Without the "Electoral College" in place the will of the people in those 18
States would be forced upon the entire country although more 'States' voted,
by "popular vote" for Bush than Gore.
 (case in point California has 54 Electoral votes the most in the nation and
in order to cancel that one states political power it would take Florida
(25), Ohio (23) and Wyoming (6) ) (note: I may have the numbers wrong but the
concept is correct)

 A perfect system..well no but......... one that has served the country well
for several hundred years now ...and one that is preferable to many others
around the world.

 So in the final analysis it is the "will of the people", as expressed
through the several and equal States that selects our President even though
that President might not achieve a "popular vote" majority at least they have
achieved an overwhelming majority of States..that is the way it is and I'm
not so sure that I would have it any other way.
My take.
Jim B.