Help

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:26:30 EST

In a message dated 10/31/00 9:53:50 PM Central Standard Time,
kam544@flash.net writes:

<< You can dilute a pre-mixed bottle to much lesser strengths allowing you to
 experiment on the safe side.  Keep in mind, it's always a judgement call to
 determine what strength to use, how much to apply, and where to apply it.

As with regulation, I almost never *measure* anything.  Think of hammer
hardener the way you would finishing material.  Two or more applications of a
very thin mix often works better than one thick, "gloppy" mix.  I judge my
hardener strength by the way the white plastic colors the acetone.  If you
can barely see any white color, you have an ultra-light mix.  If it looks
like whole milk, it's very heavy.

I usually use a light mix that looks about like whey or the way skim milk
would look if you cut it 50% with water.  (Of course, I live in the Dairy
State and see these kinds of things).  The usual recommendation I see of 1
keytop to 8 oz. of acetone will be on the fairly heavy side.  Better to cut
it.

The truly successful hardening job occurs when you've only spent maybe 15-20
minutes total time applying several coats of very light hardener as needed
(but have let it dry in between while doing other things).  If you have
brought the soft hammers just up to where they sound good but don't need any
needling, you have used just the right concentrations.  You can use a high
wattage hair dryer to speed things along if you need to but don't do that in
a vertical with the action in.  You'll throw the piano way out of tune.

Some of the voicing jobs I have received the highest compliments and praise
for changing the sound so radically but in a pleasing and satisfying way have
used very little of my time.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin