Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Mon, 29 May 2000 08:17:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 29, 2000 7:00 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

> In a message dated 5/29/2000 2:28:18 AM, Brian wrote:
>
> <<"So I have to wonder if blaming the tuning pin bushing for tuning
stability

> problems isn't faulty logic to begin with??">>
>
> Brian;
>  Tuning pin hole plate bushings serve 'one' function...they fill up the
> excess hole and look pretty. :-)  Any thing other than that is accidental.
> have no doubt that they do add 'some' stability vis a vis "flagpoling"
> but......in the event that a pinblock would move enough to crush all the
> bushings to the point of affecting the block movement there are much more
> severe problems with that block than any amount of bushings could even
begin
> to address............. "folk lore" and "common knowledge"
notwithstanding.
> :-)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Two functions, actually.

That you mention, plus their original:  they were invented to guide the
drill bit toward the center of the hole in the plate so that the pin
wouldn't rest against the plate as is so often the case with the older
system.  As you point out, any benefit they may otherwise provide is
questionable.  Certainly so after a year or two of climate changes.

Del