Plastic elbows/a fiery solution

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Sun, 28 May 2000 23:37:53 +0100

Holy moly!
I want to throw up! Let´s get it over with, put me into a tokamak!
If a blush is red I look like the inside of an aorta!

It´s been years since I did that.
We have very few spinets, and the ones we have don´t generally have plastic
parts that are failing.

Please forgive me, I was suffering from a hangover and a case of "Immensus
Stupidimus"!

Kristinn Leifsson IQ= -273°C
Reykjavík, Iceland

"It´s better to keep one´s mouth closed and appear stupid, than to open it
and remove all doubt." (Some guy)

At 17:07 28.5.2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Kristinn,
>
>If you've ever done this job you know the new elbows have no threads to start
>with.  The only question I've had about Bob's method (and I've not tried it,
>yet) is whether the new elbow will be impossible to remove, should you
ever want
>to do so in the future.  Although I'm not quite sure why you would want to do
>that;  by the time the new elbows are shot, the rest of the piano will be
long
>gone.
>
>Regards,
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA, USA
>
>Kristinn Leifsson wrote:
>
>> Bob,
>>
>> this would totally destroy the threads in the elbow.
>> Have you seen the long term effect with this procedure?
>>
>> Would the elbows be more prone to clicking or being wobbly with this method
>> after a certain time, since the plastic contracts because of the heat (I
>> would think)
>>
>> Kristinn Leifsson,
>> Reykjavík, Iceland
>>

>> >To even go further in simplifiying this procedure: when putting the new
>> elbow
>> >on the lifter wire, I heat the wire with a small portable propane torch
and
>> >just push the wire into the new elbow.  No spinning needed just push.  It
>> >cools quite quickly and you have avoided quite a bit of tedious labor.
Not