String splicing

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Sun, 28 May 2000 13:37:58 -0500

Well, enough people replied to me that I should SAVE OLD
STRINGS...........   that I have managed to miss a no-brainer, I think.
As I have contended for a long time, passing tests doesn't mean a whole
lot in the real world.  So obvious, and yet, that little clue probably
came from people much longer in the business than I, who probably had to
learn from someone else, too, but it's one of those little reminders of
why it takes so darned long to become "adequate" in the business.   I do
think I will have learned this one, though :-)

A few years ago, in the TSA at Austin, some tech showed me how to tie a
knot with only one "loop" and one "hook".  Took all the confusion out of
the principle- but not the hatred out of the process.  I think the
resulting knot may have resembled a "sheet bend" knot I learned decades
ago in Boy Scouts.  Simpler than two loops, which I can't figure out,
except on best of days.

Thanks for the string info.  Now if I just can remember it when I do
another bass string job.....

les bartlett

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.