Plastic elbows

Rodney Pritchett rodneycp@bellsouth.net
Sun, 28 May 2000 13:57:06 -0400

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

>  BTW whats up with the "gummy" elbows?   I have never run across such...are
> they common on a specific make thingee??
> Jim Bryant (FL)

I've never noticed there was a specific make, but it seems like in most
sets there are some that instead of being the usual brittle ones are -
gummy.  They don't break apart and have to be severed in some way.  I
usually use my shank cutter type tool to cut the old elbow in half, and
then use my center pin tool to remove the wippen piece.  The lifter wire
piece will spin off as usual.

There was one, a few months ago, where an 'other than Dampp Chaser'
heater bar was in the piano - the type that hangs from wire and covers
the center area, but leaves the octave or so at each end un-heated.  All
the old plastic elbows over the bar were the usual brittle ones.  The
ones not over the bar were gummy.  Connection  ? ?

Rodney Pritchett
Marietta, GA