String splicing

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 28 May 2000 09:08:08 -0700

Newton,

I've never had to do one that thick before, but I basically do it the
same way except for one occasional difference.  Depending on the
situation, and especially if it is a bichord string, I will sometimes
use a hairpin loop in the new string rather than a 3/4 (270 degree)
loop.  One advantage is that I don't have to remember which direction to
make the loop.  I don't even have to thread the loop onto the old string
before making the second loop.  The biggest advantage, though, is that I
don't have to worry about the excess wire touching the adjacent string,
since it returns parallel to the wire and not perpendicular to it.
That's especially critical with bichords.

Of course you still have to think about the excess wire from the other
loop, but at least it cuts your worries in half.  You also have to make
sure that the excess is not so long that it comes back to brush the
agraffe.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA