Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 11:00:48 -0500

>I agree with Clyde about 150%.  Tuning pin bushings are mostly cosmetic.
>They do keep dust off the pinblock and slow the penetration of spilled
>drinks in a grand, however.
>
>The bushings are cut out of dowels and so the grain orientation is parallel
>to the pin.  The wood has far less compressive strength in this orientation
>than if they were plugs cut out of a plank and thus afforded some endgrain
>to the pin. Even if they _were_ made that way, I'd doubt you'd see any
>appreciable benefit.
>
>Conrad Hoffsommer

While I agree that plate bushings aren't going to directly help pin torque,
for the above mentioned reason, they do add support during tuning, and
lessen flagpoling. There is a difference in feel and hammer technique
between pins in bushings, and those that aren't, and a dramatic difference
when the pin in the non bushed plate is riding the edge of the plate hole.
If for no other reason than serving to keep the pin away from the plate, I
think that plate bushings are worthwhile, even if they may somewhat impede
the application of CA. I still generally prefer the feel of pin with plate
bushings over those without.

My 2 pfennig's worth.

Ron N