Going over it twice-bridge differences

Dan & Martha Reed thepianoarts@home.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 13:33:13 -0500

Kristinn,

    After 22 years as a tech in one area, I have found that some pianos
react with a greater difference from bridge to bridge, than others. The
external causes of pitch discrepencies would be the same for both catagories
of pianos..i.e. humidity changes, time, age, etc. Why some pianos bridges
react more than others I would guess, would be construction factors, like
scaling, soundboard thickness, rib pattern, bridge placment, plate ridigity,
rim construction, etc.
    It seems that the piano that reacts alot, will always tend to have
greater difference in pitch from bridge to bridge, compared to
'better'pianos, even after years of regular service. Rebuilders out there,
what do you think?

Dan Reed
Richardson,Texas