The best and the richest

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Sun, 21 May 2000 07:38:51 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Trout <btrout@desupernet.net>

 But I am very interested in those who have
> achieved / are achieving the upper end of both the technical and financial
> within the piano industry.
>
> Seriously, I don't know how to even ask, but what might be some of the
keys
> to achieving BOTH, and  AT THE SAME TIME?

Hi Brian,

I think one of the keys is simply seeking out the knowledge of what makes a
good technician and what makes a good bussiness person.
This could be a simple as constantly reading journals, books, biographies,
newspapers.... whatever has info or a story about the two topics.

It seems you have a good handle on making yourself a better technician so I
will give you my take on becoming a better business person.

For starters, putting your professional team  together (accountant, lawyer,
advestment adviser, not to mention your banker) at some point may become
necessary as your business grows and personal assists grow.  These local
people help you to become a better business person.  My wife and I
coordinated a meeting with both our accountant and advestment adviser at the
same time.  This was very enlightening, not to mention quite fun, to have
these two professionals and Nancy and I in the same room making sure we were
all "on the same page" with what my wife and I intend to do with our
businesses, personal assets, and future plans for both.

At the end of this year I plan on getting all four members of our
professional team together in the same room, perhaps lunch in a private
room.  The cost of the lunch will be nothing compared to the knowledge,
ideas, and peace of mind this will bring.  I think it would be safe to say
it is a learning experience and enjoyable for all involved.

Basically, you want to try and discover what makes a good business person,
just like your trying to discover what makes a good technician.
Then applying this knowledge to your situation and personality.

Hope this is a start anyway.

See ya at the National.

Doug Mahard