Going over it twice

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 10:36:45 EDT

I agree that it is faster to tune a piano by going over it twice than
belabor the first pass.  Sometimes, the notes just move!  My first pass with
Cybertuner takes about 25 minutes.  I then put the laptop back in its case
and do the second pass by ear.  It just takes a few minutes to take care of
anything I think I can improve upon.  It  also takes another few minutes to
touch up the voicing using a single needle through the top of the strings.
I find that about 80% of the effort in making a piano sound better is that
last few minutes I spend voicing.  The whole service call, including
cleaning keys and dusting, takes 45-60 minutes.

When you tune string by string (instead of muting entire sections) you can
catch your mistakes (in the unisons) faster. If I spent more than an hour in
someones house, my clients would think that there was something majorly
wrong with their piano or with me!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland