45 min tunings

Wed, 17 May 2000 22:50:21 +0200

"John M. Formsma" wrote:

> List,
>
> There has been mention on the list from those who routinely do a normal
> tuning in 45 minutes or less. For those of you who can do this aurally...
>
> Would all your tunings pass the tuning exam for the RPT test, or are some
> below par? If no, how do you justify leaving a piano below "minimal"
> standards?

Doubtfull that most such tunings would pass the test, as for justifying
this... I have never met a tuner who doesnt assess and judge when to put
heart and soul into a tuning and when not to. Much depends on the quality
of the piano, how well its been kept (indirectly how much the customer
really cares about the instrument) and what the demands on the instrument
are likely to be. I wont go into this deeper but such tunings can still be
quite acceptable and indeed appropriate... and of course they can be the
opposite of these.

> Do you tune that fast for concerts, or just for "lower-end" tunings?

I have the luxury of not having much to do with lower-end jobs much
anymore, as for fast for concerts... almost never and only then when the
situation leaves me no choice

> How long do you spend on temperament, octaves, unisons?
typically 20 minutes total on each of the above.. and perhaps as much as 20
more tweaking the tuning on critical jobs.

> How even is the piano? I.e., are all the intervals ascending/descending
> evenly?

Three years ago my tunings were quite uneven.. but these days I am getting
quite good indeed. I think the use of RCT and Tunelab has helped me quite a
bit, and subjecting myself to learning to tune to satisfy another tuner in
town has also been quite valuable. You have to really look at what a tuning
essentially is to understand how another tuner works.. what that tuners
priorities are. This can be a very valuable skill in itself... to be able
to sit down and figure out quickly just what another tuner does...

> What kind of stability is achieved?

Stability has always been my strong point... a few pianos throw me from
time to time.. but for the most part they sit like a rock. I think this has
to do with the time I spend on usual tunings. I never use under an hour and
almost always am at about an hour and fifteen minutes for pianos that are
well out of tune to begin with. As I sell 1 & 1/2 hour time slots for piano
service instead of "tunings" this works well for me.

> How are your unisons? Three strings perfectly tuned, really close, or what?

Again.. I have had to work on this this past year. There is no such thing
as a perfectly tuned unision, for much the same reason as a perfectly tuned
octave does not exist. You can match partials in different ways and
sometimes these can be quite clean indeed, other times you just gotta
decide whats best. Again the use of RCT and Tune lab have been enlightening

> Do you concentrate mostly on good unisons and octaves?

I personally weigh these pretty evenly as they seem quite related.
Especially in the higher treble it seems like getting really good unisons
is dependant on good choices being made in the octave types decided upon
earlier on. Of late I think I am starting to be able to anticipate what
will work best for the last two octave, but I am not sure of this yet.

> Any other thing I have left out?

grin.. I think that about covers it.

--
Richard Brekne