regluing ivories: Duco v. Duro v. CA

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 May 2000 09:42:15 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/00 8:16:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
draine@mediaone.net (J Patrick Draine) writes:
 Clyde Hollinger wrote: writes:

<< I used to use CA to glue on the miscellaneous ivory keytop, because it was
quick.
 > I stopped using it when I found some of the ivory heads popping off again
in a
 > year or two, which caused me to think the bond was too weak.  Maybe it was
the way
 > I did it; I put the glue on the key and accelerator on the keytop, then
held them
 > in position for ten seconds or so, and that was it. (snip)

 Perhaps "a thin coat" is "the ticket." I don't use contact cement, because
I've often
 seen it leach into the ivory, leaving it an ugly, mottled gray (smells bad
too). (snip)>>

I've had the same experience with both of these.  I believe the accelerator
is the culprit with the CA glue.  You need it if you want a fast cure but it
causes the glue to "fry" and makes a weak bond.  Contact cement or "Goo" glue
from Schaff Piano Supply (or a hobby or hardware store) worked fairly well
but they both discolor and sometimes also fail after a year or two.

Although I haven't been able to time test it yet, I have a lot of confidence
in the CA-white glue combination.  I have used it in a number of other
applications and am really happy with it.  With both surfaces scraped clean
and the ivory cleaned with an abrasive if it has overly yellowed, spread CA
glue sparingly but evenly on the ivory while avoiding the edges (so you won't
get excessive squeeze).  Spread the white glue in the same manner on the key.
 Place the ivory piece carefully, press firmly with the thumb and fingers and
hold for about 30 seconds.  A set will take quickly and a solid cure within
hours.  After another few minutes, wipe any squeeze away.

The white glue serves as a catalyst that causes the CA glue to set in less
than a minute and firmly within a few minutes or so.  The wet white glue
cures after a few more hours.  The initial set is strong enough to handle
after a minute or two.  The problem with the usual accelerator is that it
works too fast, making a week bond.  The slower set from the white glue
appears to be much stronger and more solid.

This all, of course, is for quick repair on old, worn and weathered uprights
(maybe crummy old grands too), not really fine pianos.  For the finer
instruments, the traditional methods are what is appropriate.  This kind of
repair, which is often called for, is the kind that falls in the "Hospital
for Hopeless Pianos" category.  One good advantage is that it does not
discolor and also does not leech like contact cement.

I have a question about ivory wafers that I could not answer when someone
asked me off List.  I will post it later.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin