signal to noise (was annoying)/How about a PTG Chatroom?

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 May 2000 17:14:39 EDT

In a message dated 5/12/00 9:22:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<<
     The more off-topic postings there are on the list, the less value it
will
 have and the fewer really busy, progressive techs will afford the time it
 takes to wade through the brush, even with a good delete button.  We then
 miss out on what they might contribute, because non-technical traffic deters
 them from even joining in.
       It is a simple signal to noise problem.  Is this a list for
technicians
 to exchange technical info, or a place for techs to socialize?   I move for
 the former, as the latter is of interest to fewer people and a good
 alternative already exists on another list.

Ed:

Well stated-as always.  The hope,  of course, is that those clogging up this
format with their personal and  valueless chit chat would take your words to
heart.  SOmehow, I don't feel optimistic about the  probability of it.  Time
will tell, but time will also cause many to forget what the list is about and
the personal dribble will return and more persons will unsubscribe
permanently.  Over the past several years, individuals have declared their
secession from this list and I am reasonably certain they did so because of
the list losing value for their time spent.  When things were heating up
regarding ET vs HT vs whatever, I  also got off  but subsequently returned.
Others probably have never come back.  That is a loss for all of us.  I just
don't want that to happen once more.
Those who want the personal chit chat could always join a chat room or
perhaps create their own.  Having no experience in this, I am presuming it is
not a difficult thing to do-but others out there might be able to better
address that possibility.
THE PTG CHATROOM!  Now that sounds good!

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio