Heat for the piano

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 12 May 2000 09:06:28 -0500

>...told her that as far as I know she
>doesn't need to worry that temperature swings will damage the piano.
>Was I right?...
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT

Having directly experienced what you mention, Clyde, on more than one
occasion, the current policy I adhere is to advise customers that
temperatures that fall outside a customary domain of human comfort, that
is, below 60 degrees, and above 90 degrees, create an unsuitable
environment and undermine the performance and credibility of a piano.

I also advise that in subjecting a piano to such environmental conditions
potentially voids an existing warranty, and that I personally and
professionally would not be able to support any efforts on their part to
have a manufacture honor such warranty should problems occur.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild