Steinway damper to string noise

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 08:46:23 -0500

Arthur
I solved this problem in a Steinway L by setting the dampers on a long =
taper. I rigged a straight edge to catch the damper levers and raised =
the treble end of the straight edge 1/8"higher than the bass. This made =
the treble dampers follow the lift of the bass dampers while not =
affecting the bicord/tricord dampers. The thump from quick pedaling was =
significantly reduced and the dampers function well when slow pedaling =
is done, also.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ARTHUR CHICKERING=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 8:17 PM
  Subject: Steinway damper to string noise

  List,
  =20
  Yesterday I came across a problem on a Steinway (M) 1926 that I was =
tuning for the first time.  The customer asked if I could take care of =
the loud booming noise when the sustain pedal was released quickly after =
being depressed.  This was caused by the dampers dropping on the strings =
all at once.  I regulated the sustain pedal to remove any extra lost =
motion.  It did help but did not totally solve the problem.  It is quite =
annoying as it sounds almost like someone playing a bass drum with a big =
soft drum beater.  It is quite loud. =20
  I was wondering if there is something I am overlooking as a solution =
to this problem.  Any solutions you could give me would be greatly =
appreciated.
  =20
  Thanks,
  =20