Steinway A lyre sticks

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 07:13:49 -0400

> I just removed an aging Pianocorder system from a 1941
> Steinway A. Now I have to make new lyre sticks, since
> the originals were cut off about halfway up, to make
> room for the long box holding the stack.
>
> So, I have the lower ends as models, which is a start,
> at least, but I have to work out the details for the
> rest.
>
> Can anyone tell me the normal length (about 22.5"?),
> and whether it was standard, or varied a little bit?
> Also, is the top end square or rounded? The bottom
> ends are square and gently tapered, ending with a
> little ridge, and then are turned round for the last
> two inches or so. Are the top ends like this, or a
> different shape?

Hi Susan,

Recently I ordered raw lyre sticks form S&S for model A.  They came with
both ends square and way over length.  The A had round holes for the sticks
to go into.  I used a  folding rule with brass slides at each end.  These
slides slide out of each end of the rule and measure out to six inches and
are skinny enough to fit into the stick holes.  A little bit of addition is
involved but it worked like a charm.  I then took the middle of the stick
and measured out half the distance in both directions from that point and
cut the sticks.

Worked for me.

Doug Mahard