Repeat Business

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Mon, 08 May 2000 10:10:30 -0400

We call back in 6 months or a year, as it seems most appropriate for the client/piano.

Not enjoying sales we choose a very soft approach.
We tell the client how long it has been, and ask if they would
like to have the instrument tuned now, or wait. If they say
later we ask/suggest what month we might call back.

50% book immediately.
30%-40% request a call back & have a tuning within 6 months.
(This applies to my secondary card file, my bulk of clients).

My primary card file of churches, corperate clients, musicians,
& clients of over 10 years is nearly 100%. It is a smaller but
fruitful pile of cards..
They are always first called when a season commences.
Many of them know this & appreciate having priority for
more flexibility in scheduling. They are told "we are calling
our priority clients early to insure they are offered
scheduling they like."

Then there is the third pile. Thoses that tuned Grandma's piano
because the kids started lessons, and may not do it again for
10 years. Irregulars that have always skipped a year or two.
Some just did it once and never again, perhaps they didn't
like my tie(or lack thereof). Perhaps I had a bad day and didn't
uphold my usual tuning standard. For whatever reason these people
I don't want to call, or they don't want me to call back. I keep these
cards in a separate file and will not call them. But I might do a mail
out to them some day if  I sense a need for more. As time goes by
that is seeming more and more unlikely though.

I find a growing pile of faithful regulars has made the business
easier. Easier to call back, for I know them better, easier to find,
for I no longer need a map for them, easier to tune for the piano has
been serviced  properly.  The result is more time = more money.

I've noticed that the success rate of call backs is far greater in the
and stress to call back but in the long run I think we can build
far less stressful businesses by doing those call backs. Also if
I'm less dependent on new clients, I feel less threatened by
other technicians, more secure. Also they have less reason
to be threatened by me for if I have my regular client base, I don't
need to solicit clients of other technicians I respect.

                                            Cheers all
                                            Tame those beasts

                                            Dave Renaud
                                            RPT