Steinway console tuning

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Mon, 08 May 2000 08:03:59 PDT

Last week I tuned a 45" Steinway console dated from the early '60s.  It was
the most stressful tuning I've ever encountered in years.

There were many high treble pins that wouldn't stay put - they would bounce
around like nothing I've encountered before.  I lowered the pitch just
slightly, no matter how much I'd overshoot the pitch flat, many pins would
just bounce right back up!

Equipped with a D.C. unit, and striking the keys very hard, these pins just
wouldn't settle.  Pins were tight, no visible problems in the soundboard or
bridge.  The owner was getting irritated that the tuning took a bit over 2
hours.  I didn't want to tell her what I thought of her precious "Steinway."

Have any of you tuned similar Steinway consoles with similar circumstances?

Jay Mercier