wood, wax and mold

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 07 May 2000 16:14:35 -0400

"Carol R. Beigel" wrote:

> The most recent knowledge I have about vertigris is that it attacks the
> parafin used in wool action centers.  I think the same chemical reaction is
> occuring on the cedar siding and pressure treated lumber on my deck.

Dear Carol,
I certainly won't try to give you advice on the care of your cedar siding and
deck. I, will, however, suggest that we don't perpetuate "theories of piano
center verdigris" without proofs better than "I seem to recall that someone
told me that some elder S&S concert technician once said ... ." (I know that's
not your words, but others have quoted such authorities)

I'm not ready to accept the assertion that piano felt verdigris is a mold until
a qualified plant biologist (proper term? surely not a mycologist --
moldologist??) is coerced into identifying the species.

I'd vote for verdigis as a chemical reaction, but that's just a considered
guess, and I'd like to see a report in which a chemist identifies it
positively.

Aside from its other worthy goals, perhaps the PTG Foundation could consider
funding a definitive investigation to solve this perrenial discussion.

Patrick