Kranich & Bach grand mal

Pianogreig@AOL.COM Pianogreig@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 May 2000 14:04:52 EDT

Dear list:

I've just encountered a 1916 K&B grand which, in addition to a couple broken
jacks, most repetition spring loops broken & repaired in a variety of ways,
has underlever flanges which are coming unglued from the rail plus broken
spring loops on most.
Tuning pins have been tapped & there are some bridge cracks; tone is what
you'd expect.

I let the owner, a retired dentist who is just beginning piano lessons, know
the condition and that the cost of repairs probably would exceed the value of
the piano, but he doesn't want to buy a new piano and says it's adequate for
his level of playing (and the case is pretty).

My question for the list is for suggestions as to the best way to proceed
with the underlever flanges (after removing the rail) & will this piano have
anything interfering with removal -  should I simply reglue them or drill
holes & install screws & is there any fast & easy way to replace all spring
loops?  Approximately how long could I expect this to take so I can give an
accurate estimate?

Also, the keyframe is screwed very securely to the keybed & when removed the
key dip disappears; the wippen rail pivots to accomodate raising the hammers
when the soft pedal is used.  Any thoughts on getting accurate bench seating
would be appreciated.

 And, finally, I've always wondered if there are any specifics for
determining hammer height when the hammers are raised by a rail.  Should they
always rest on the rail & should the rail be shimmed to provide optimum
striking distance.  In the past I've simply raised the capstans enough so I
could see that hammers were barely in contact with the rail & that there was
no lost motion.

Many thanks,

Bruce