downbearing - new Mason & Hamlin A

PianoGuru@AOL.COM PianoGuru@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 May 2000 18:21:06 EDT

Hi Pianotech folks,

I sign on to this list occasionally, but don't stay around long.  Frankly, I
do not have time to sort through such a busy list, with so much chit-chat
(often off-topic).  Still, I want to stay in touch, so I sign on once in a
while.  To those who don't recognize my outrageous screen name, I am Frank
Emerson, engineer for Mason & Hamlin, and formerly Dir. of R & D at Baldwin.
I have been lurking for a while, but I cannot help but jump into this thread
with both feet.

Ron Nossaman wrote:
<<  I don't get new M&H in this area, so I  don't know if the company
believes in soundboard problems or not. >>
We most certainly do.  We take two samples from every soundboard
as it is installed.  I, personally, measure and record the EMC of each
sample.  I know of no other manufacturer who monitors the EMC of each and
every soundboard.  When we find the moisture content drifting one way or the
other, we make adjustments, as needed, based on daily monitoring of the
samples.  We have humidity controls throughout the factory, but not as dry as
we require for the soundboard conditioning room.  From the time work begins
on a soundboard until it is glued into the rim, it is returned to the
conditioning room, when not being worked on.   I will do my part to resolve
the problem, but we must follow the proper protocol, and with good reason.

To my friends in Indianapolis and Grandville, MI, I will see you next week.

Frank Emerson