downbearing

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 06 May 2000 22:02:34 +0200

Charly Tuner wrote:

> I wasn't present when the Steinway tech was working on this $200,000
> monster, and I only stopped by for a moment to help with 6 other people to
> lift the piano onto a display riser.  I then heard him sampling the sound,
> which was pretty dead. I think they are going to send it back to Steinway
> for repair.
> One more thing on voicing. The tech uses deep needling directly AT THE STIKE
> POINT! But he tells me that this is the Steinway method

More precisely... this is a particular Steinway techs method, and he has a
system to his madness that works for him. We all know his name, and his
credentials are too good to ignore. Mr Franz Mohr has advocated this practice
for some time, and hey... it works for him. but then he knows by experience how
to make it work.

> . I'll tell ya, this
> would have normally been, for me, a Slam-Dunk dead give away for the current
> problem. I have always thought that deep/excessive needling at the strike
> point would DESTROY hammer firmness,(maybe not immediately, but soon) and
> leave them totally useless for loud playing.

If you were watching him closely you  would have noticed that working with the
crown of the hammer does not mean that he was needling deeply. If he was, then
this would wreck the hammers for sure and I can not imagine a Steinway factory
tech doing such a thing.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.