Dampp-Chaser

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 05 May 2000 09:29:28 -0400

Kristinn Leifsson wrote:

> What do you tell people you´re trying to sell a Dampp-Chaser/humidifier
> system?

Usually I don't "try to sell" the system, but when I notice that the piano
has an especially extreme reaction to our New England seasonal changes I will
bring up the subject, give them the glossy promotional literature (even if
they're not a likely candidate for the system it makes them understand why
the piano needs frequent tuning), and perhaps suggest that they view the DC
video. I've only used the video twice, and both times it clinched the job.
It's also a good idea to bring up the subject when the customer has a fairly
new, high quality instrument while you're still "working the stretch" out of
the piano. Being able to recommend a system that will help further stabilize
the piano in the future is usually appreciated.

> Do you install the system, and after that, tune the piano some days later?

Preferably a couple weeks later, but if the customer makes their purchase
decision at the conclusion of the tuning, I may install it afterwards
(depending on the situation).

Patrick