Information

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:56:08 -0400

Jack Wyatt,

You're going to have to appeal to someone much older than me for your answers. I think my Student Butterfly measures 36"x36". I do believe different lengths were made. One source told me that some (possibly 100) were built for a movie or musical. Check the Journal "Wanted" classifieds for Doug Taylor. He's been collecting Butterflies for years. Your Butterfly S.N. should give you the Wurlitzer manufacturing date.

As more than one manufacturer has been known to make "miniature" pianos, could it be that they were just attempting to survive hard times making a piano of lower cost? I'm thinking, of course, of the depression era. That's why you have to ask someone much older than me... someone like Newton.

When I was in retail, I had built a substantial piano rental business. Those Tom Thum-type pianos would have made ideal rental pianos.

For what it's worth.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, ON  Canada