"New" old uprights

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:52:22 EDT

p003520b@pb.seflin.org writes:

<< The note by Les Bartlett about "it was my grandmother's" old upright, and
 costing $7K to restore it brought a question to my mind:

 Has anyone ever thought how much one of those old, ornate uprights would
 sell for new if manufactured today? I sometimes tell a customer "maybe
 between 10 and 20 thousand dollars", but I don't really have much to go
 on. Does anyone have a better estimate?

 Maybe some of those old, beautiful pianos really ARE worth restoring!

 Wally Scherer >>

Your estimate of $10,000 -- $20,000 isn't too far off, but they can be bought
for less. Knabe has an "Lily Satin Walnut" piano available, which resembles
an old upright piano, complete with ornate legs, and fancy scroll work on the
swing panels. New it can be purchased for around $6,000. It is made by Young
Chang in Korea. Other manufacturers sell 50" or 52" uprights, ranging in
price from $5000 -- for some of the Chinese made pianos, to $17,000 for
Steinway, Bosendorfer, etc.  But these are "plain" uprights. . .

Willem