Bursitis

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:08:31 -0500

Roy Ulrich wrote:

> Help! Anyone got experience with a BAD case of bursitis in your tuning
> shoulder? Aspirin, Advil, and a new anti-flammatory (200mg once a day)
> are not cutting it. I'm out of commission until this gets fixed, if it
> can be. Experience with cortosone shot? I seem to remember hearing
> that it's more painful than the never ending throb in the shoulder
> itself!
> This has plagued me for 2 or 3
> years
> Roy Ulrich

Roy,
	You should probably spend some money and see a doctor. A Chiropractor
would be a good one. I don't know how old you are, what your diet might
be, etc. but I've had plenty of experience with shoulder pains of all
sorts. For me, turns out I have a bad disk in my neck that is obvious in
x-ray. You may not have anything that bad, but in any case you need to
look at your posture and muscle use.
	The first rule of muscle repair and heavy use is heat before using and
ice down afterwards. I've sat for weeks at a time unable to go out and
do to much knowing it will lock me up for good. Any good analgesic will
reduce the inflamation, but use over long periods is just a bad idea. I
start each day with 1/2 hour of heating pad and finish it with an ice
pack. Also aerobic excercise is excellent for circulation and general
health.
	Cortosone is scary because it masks the problem and you go out like a
brave soldier and get the job done, but then that's all you'll be able
to do because the damage is worse.
	Are you sure it's bursitis? If it's been going on for 2-3 years you
need to revisit posture and muscle use. As some were saying, being
ambidextrous is a real bonus and virtually necessary in this line of
work. I tune right handed for grands and left for uprights generally.
Train the other arm by doing fast and rough tunings with the less
coordinated one.
	Good luck and remember, it's better to not make any money today if the
rest means you'll be able to for the long term.
									All the best.....Dan j