A question of liability

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:29:07 -0600

> >My question is this:  to what degree am I liable if it was caused by
> >their piano and their casters, and all I did was roll it out from the
> >wall.

The question (in your best interst) is, what extent do the owners have
responsiblility for the condition their instrument that causes damage when
rolled around, or having such a weighty instrument on a floor that is easily
damaged.   The piano was given wheels so that it could be rolled around.
Because of the extreme weight of the instrument some indentation on many
types of floors is bound to occur.  Is the marring confined to the area
under the piano?  Is this "marring" readily visible, sometimes noticible, or
only detectable  on close examination?
    The question in the interest of your client is, what responsibility do
you have as a professional servicing their instrument?  Should you be aware
that rolling the piano away from the wall might mar the floors?  Should that
awareness lead you to inspect the area to see if the floor is already
marred? Is there a reasonable precaution you can take to prevent any or
further marring?
    Since you asked it as a question of liability, it boils down to
following standard operating procedures.  If it can be established you did
not, you are liable. I wouldn't wait for it to go that far.  Go back and see
what actually is being claimed.  Perhaps some floor wax and elbow grease
will make it look better than before.  Just showing up and expressing
concern is often enough to put such worries to rest.  You can offer a free
touch up tuning if there really is a visible boo boo.
    The simple solution to avoid caster marks on floors is to carry two
moving blankets, place them under each end and slide the piano out.  Tilting
on a tilter increases the chance of maring as the entire weight of the piano
is now on two steel tangents pressing against the floor.    ---ric