piano design books

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:36:52 -0600

> List,
>
> What books are good for providing an understanding of piano design? I see
> several available thru the supply houses, but do not know if they are old
> and outdated, or what exactly. I hate to spend money on one that has
> outdated information. I'd rather buy a good tool. :-)

The best one (I have seen) is from 1911, but is out of print.   It is called
something like "American Steel and Wire Piano Manufactorers Conference."
Its is always good to have a  knowledge of the "old" ways.  I suppose  now I
have go get into a bidding war to acquire a used copy.    There is Wolfden,
and Sigfreid Hansen (sp?)in the catalogs.  These might even be in libraries.
If the Am Steel and Wire one is, I would be surprised.  ---ric