Shut my mouth

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:47:42 -0500

I have run into this type of situation many times. My guidelines are if you
are being paid to evaluate the piano, be very blunt, direct, thorough and
honest. If you are there to tune the piano and they simply ask "isn't this a
wonderful piano - listen to that tone (thud)!" desperately search for one
positive thing to say about the piano, like "golly, that's really
something - you sure don't hear many like that (thank goodness)!",  or "wow,
your key ends are really.....square (mayber a few will be)". And leave it at
that.

The sticky part comes when the owner of the junker tells you that "yes, my
grandmother learned how to play piano on this little baby, my mother learned
how to play, and I learned how to play on it. I am so gland that now my
daughter is about to start taking lessons and playing on little betsy
(ross?) (hammers: motheaten rocks, action: meggasloppy, keys: majorwiggley,
strings: long dead, pins: loose, etc., etc., etc.) Obviously a very SCARY
situation. The kid is guaranteed to dislike such a poor piano and will
likely fail at playing.

I usually tell the owner something like the following. "It is important for
the child to play a piano that can be tuned properly, and has a
good-feeling, responsive action. And, yes, your piano was a very good
quality piano when first manufactured, but now it suffers from much wear and
aging - which is common to any piano that has been played for many decades.
There are a number of improvements that we could make to the performance of
your piano. (List them.) Doing the minumum would likely cost approximately
$2,000 (or whatever). To really make it like new would cost $12,000 (or
more?). There are very nice 10 to 20 year old used pianos available for
under $1,000 - or consider a new paino".

And leave it at that.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida