Quiz Time Answer

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:48:53 +0100

Leif Olsen wrote:

> Hej Richard

Nice to hear from you Leif.. I probably will see you this fall at the
Piano Technicians convention for Scandinavia ???

In any case... The answer to the quiz !!

I suppose I shoulda said this was and upright.. just in case anyone was
in doubt. The first answer that came in was really correct... even tho I
think he (Doug) was refering to a grand.

The problem was jack return springs. They were too strong. Normally on
soft play a player doesnt always get to the bottom of the key stroke,,
lots of actions handle this pretty gracefully as the back edge of the
jack gets out just far enough that the knuckle can push it out of the
way if it needs too. In this case the jack was designed such that almost
all of its movement was in the last tiny bit of key movement so there
was almost no help from its basic position at almost full key stroke.
This coupled with very strong return springs actually caused the pianist
to end even further away from full key stroke when playing soft (you
could really feel this in the "heavyish feel" of the action) So the jack
wouldnt clear the knuckle and it would blubber. If you forced the key
down to the bottom all was well, but then doing this while playing made
it next to impossible to play really softly

So.. all the springs were removed one by one and eased. What amazed me
was how much lighter the action felt. I shoulda taken downweight
measurements.. and next time I will.. grin. Anyways.. Nice call Doug !
Blubbering is gone !

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.