surcharge

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:51:33 -0600

Of course you're right; the only problem is we're getting a little off
topic. The original post was with regard to adding a surcharge because of
increased gas prices, not prices in general. But as long as you brought it
up....

It's a little tough to get a handle on the average tuning fee what with so
many on this list paranoid about discussing the subject, (yet how do the gas
stations get by with being the same all the time?). But I am under the
impression that the national average is around $75. I don't know if mileage
is added on top of that number or not. I've been at $60 for a standard 45
minute tuning plus 30 cents per mile round trip for the 1st 30 miles, then
90 cents a mile over 30. It pays the bills - We eat well and I wear $260
shoes; that's not poverty.

We're not the grocery store, the gas station, the doctor, or the liquor
mart; we're a luxury. If I were to double my tuning fee tomorrow I have no
doubt that I could kiss this job goodbye. Sure, I'd have more time for golf
but no money for the season ticket! As it is, I'm wasting away the morning
today although I have plenty of restoration to complete, but I set my own
hours.

While I'm considering an increase in the near future, I also have to be
aware of my competition. Someone also mentioned that with the increase in
gas prices there is a wide ranging affect to all businesses, and guess
what - the tuning phone has slowed down quite a bit, and probably won't
recover until gas goes down. NOT a good time to jack up prices on my end. Go
ahead, convince me otherwise please.

btw, I'm not suggesting that you're too high, in fact I'm a little envious.
Good for you, but I can sense what _my_ customers are willing to part with,
keeping in mind the cost of living in my area.

Roy Ulrich