padded hammer handle

Rodney Pritchett rodneycp@bellsouth.net
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:08:51 -0500

pianolover@worldspy.net wrote:

> HAs anyone "padded" their tuning hammer handles? I am thinking about wrapping the handle of my hammer with a thin foam and then covering that with something like you might find on racing bike handlebars. I am hoping that it will lessen the stress on my hand, fingers and thumb when tuning, without sacrificing any, or too much control and/or feel. I'd appreciate you comments and tips on the best way to do this. Thanks!
>
> Terry

> Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com

Terry,

If you use an impact type technique, you can go to your local sporting
goods store (Sports Authority, etc.) and purchase a pair of weight
lifters gloves (S/M/L/XL).  These have the fingers cut just below the
knuckles so there is freedom of movement there, but the main feature is
a heavy leather pad on the palm to cushion the blow.  They also have a
mesh back which allows the hand to breathe and remain cool(er), and a
velcro fastener (which I don't fasten for the same reason).  I think I
paid $7.95 for the last pair I bought.  For about double that you can
get a gel filled pad.  The drawback is that you only use one glove of
the pair.  Now if I knew a left-handed tuner . . .

Also, on my "pounding" fingers - index and middle - I use the rubber
finger thingees that people who have to handle lots of paper use.  These
also help to cushion the blow.  The are available at office supply
stores.  I've thought of adding additional holes in these to provide
more ventilation, because prolonged use without removing them tends to
make one think of "swamp finger" syndrome.

Proper battle attire can make a difference at the end of a day of
tuning.

Rodney Pritchett
Marietta, GA