A bit off topic

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:26:58 EST

In a message dated 3/1/00 12:10:21 AM !!!First Boot!!!, PDtek@AOL.COM writes:

<< On another list, there has been discussion as to whether the head on a
drum
 or banjo actually produces a musical pitch when hit or thumped.

 When a head like this is tightened it obviously gets brighter in tone but my
 contention is that the vibrations are too random and disorganized to
actually
 produce a definable pitch. I can't count the times however that I have heard
 drummers or banjo players saying that they like to tune the head to A or Bb
 or whatever.

 Any opinions?

 Dave Bunch

Timpani's tune their instruments. Banjos can also be tuned. When a drummer
tightens his drum head, it changes in pitch, not tone. There is a pitch to
every drum head. It is not a defined as other pitches, mainly because the
decay of the sound is too fast. But there is definitely a pitch.

Willem Blees