Polishing Hinges

Berley A. Firmin II Firman1@prodigy.net
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:01:16 -0500

Hi!
As a clock restorer also, I use an ammoniated brass cleaner first. I just
soak them overnight, and then rinse. 99% of the time they are very shiny and
bright. The other times, they just require a light buffing on a wheel with
rouge, or even a light hand polishing with Never-Dull from the automotive
store.  I do this will all brass piano hardware. Usually it removes any
lacquer or shellac also. The cleaner, (I use L&R), is available from
Merritts' Antiques on line and others like LaRose. Your local clock tech
should sell you some also. I also use it to clean and degrease player piano
transmissions. Don't use it on any parts that contain pot metal: it will
turn everything black.
Hope this helps.
Mr. Berley Antoine Firmin II
Polyhymnia Musical Restorations