string pressure on board

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:26:39 -0500

> Where does all of this mythology come
>from?  This stuff is not rocket science.  It wasn't back at the turn of the
>last century either.  Still, these ideas take hold and spread and don't give
>up easily to logic and common sense.  Oh, well...
>
>-- ddf

People almost universally avoid math, and occasionally (ahem) logic like
leprosy. It's easier to believe someone else's numbers than to figure it
out for themselves so someone else's common sense and logic is just another
unsubstantiated opinion to them. Since they've already got an installed
opinion (someone told them, and they'll gladly straighten you out) in that
spot on the mental shelf, there's no room for another one unless the
numbers are more impressive (bigger, shinier, more outrageous, but along
the same lines as what's already "known"). Even then it's a lot of trouble
to replace that old idea because if you move anything on that mental shelf,
you have to dust. That, for me is one of the truly wonderful things about
computers. I can work out an intimidating math process once, incorporate it
into a spread sheet or program, and never have to worry about it again
until new information comes along and I have to go back and work it all out
again from scratch. That keeps the mental shelves available (I didn't say
"empty", mind you) and the dust down, at least in theory. Since I'm so
lousy with math, that's my only hope of using any mathematical tool past
addition.

That and the apparent lack of interest in anything outside a narrow
specialty, and a general reluctance to venture off the path and risk
learning something contrary to what's already "known", is what keeps that
olde tyme mythology alive.

Now back to the hot debate on whether there's really such a thing as an
outside wall in a basement.

Ron N