damaged C3

Charly Tuner charly_tuner@hotmail.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:48:39 PDT

I was just about ready to begin a floor tuning on a new Yam C3 today,  but
first, as usual with the new grands, I had to remove the protective foam
wrapping and that long wood strip that holds the hammers down during
transit. well, to my horror, I immediately noticed that the majority of the
keys were totally out of whack and were all on the WRONG front key pin,
actually the next one over. When I lifted each key off the wrong pin and
onto the right one, the keys had already been severley warped. Then, I
noticed two (that I found so far) broken parts, including one of the bolts
that hold down the keys stop rail. Then, I attempted to play the notes and
immediately noticed  that the regulation was so bad, that it's hard to
believe it was EVER regulated to specs (as they usually ALWAYS are, at least
with Yamaha) in the first place. The hammers ALL blubber, the key dip is way
too shallow, the letoff is much to far from the strings, etc, etc. My guess
is that this piano was dropped by the movers, and that is the reason for all
the damage and compromised action regulation. Do you think we should contact
the mover's, call Yamaha, or what? The way the piano is now will no doubt
require a MAJOR repair and regulation job, and I do mean MAJOR, and being a
newbie, it's just a tad beyond my current experience level, to say the
least.

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG