String coupling.

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 12:12:39 +0200

Robert Moffatt wrote:

> > Please expound a bit on the term "cup". I am not sure exactly what we are
> > talking about here. Otherwise I will give the idea of useing single string
> > voicing to evening out single string partial patterns a try. Sounds
> > interesting enough.
>
> Richard,
>
> As I'm sure you know, when the hammers are made, the way they
> cut each individual hammer is usually with a guillatine. When the hammer
> is cut, the outer edges of the hammer felt "spring up" (for lack of a better
> discription) due to the relief of tension. This leaves the hammer low in the
> centre, and high on the sholders. To needle only the centre_will_ puff the
> that part of the hammer leaving it releativley square.. but, the centre
> soft and the sholders hard.
> Shaping the hammers first will leave the hammers level, then fit to the
> strings
> and voice to remove any unwanted single string partials.

Ah... yes I can see useing the word cup to describe this. Thanks for the
clarification

> > Me thinks Mr Bob has a certain distaste for ETD's ??
>
> Only when it is quite obvious that some ETD users don't have any
> real aural skills,

I would aggree with this, yet take precaution to know for sure that a
person has limited aural skills developed. Personally the use of the ear
when doing ETD assisted tunings is becomeing one of my pet peeves. The more
I dink around with these things, the more I see potential and or real
threats to the ear. Course that said I also see real and potential
benifits.

>yet delve into the world of adding or removing partials
> using a visual display. (if I'm reading this right)

Grin.. I am not sure I know where you are going with this... Seems like its
just me on this list who is on about this buisness of multi-partial
displays.. could we expound a bit on this ??

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.