Test blows

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:46:14 -0800

Hi Richard,
It is my thinking that unless the strings are seated on the bridge (setteled
in )
That the test blow will partially settle the string. In pitch raises of over
25c I go to work in seating the strings as if it were a new piano to remove
the elastic curve arround the bearing points. This I call a pitch
stabilization process. There is usually a drop in pitch of 15c to 30c as the
string is seated at the bridge and 15c at the pin bearing points. On a new
piano that is flat I always shoot for too high and know that the seating
process will bring the pitch down for me.
With older pianos it is always a guess so the first time seating is not done
untill the return visit. At which time if the piano is close to pitch the
bridge is set and on the next service the capo area or agraff with full
leveling on grands.
BTW Hope to have my new pocket level ( have carried the proto type in my
pocket sans case for a year without damage to the vial) somtime this summer
Joe Goss