Grand Knuckles

Ray T. Bentley bntune2@home.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:23:05 -0500

Dear List,

Just a quick tip that might save someone a lot of grief.  I recently was =
called to repair a Baldwin M that had a sluggish, sometimes sticking =
key.  The previous tuner had made three trips back and was unable to =
solve the problem.  I discovered that the knuckle was catching on the =
neighboring one.  Someone had tried to get a little more life out of the =
knuckles by putting some string inside the knuckle under the flattened =
area.  It hadn't been trimmed completely.

I also am finishing a new hammer, shank, and flange replacement on =
another Baldwin and found a few rubbing knuckles that had to be repaired =
on this one, too. A piece of folded fine sandpaper passed between them =
took care of it.

FWIW.

Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL