tuning in out there

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:47:28 EDT

Greetings,
      There is a world of people out there tuning their own electronic
instruments, and it is possible that the future of intonation resides with
their new ideas more than our old tonality.  What would we have to say about
the 22nd Century's penchant for playing Mozart in a 46 tone equal
temperament?
     Since some of our list members, at times thought it arcane to be
discussing temperament variety, I am posting the following dialogue from the
"Tuning" list for a little perspective.  I will confess right here I haven't
a clue as to what the conversation means!!

Regards,
Ed Foote
(Finally finished the next temperament CD, hopefully available before
Christmas 00 !)

--- In tuning@egroups.com, Carl Lumma <CLUMMA@N...
wrote:
> >>I believe your 96-tone structure is actually a stellated E.F.  genus,
> >
> >Carl, I doubt that --
>
> Yeah, it was a shot in the dark, but... the 4-factor stellated 1:2  CPS

Huh?

> is a stellated E.F. genus,

Can you show me?

> and it does take 6 tones to stellate the
> large chords in each of the two Pentadekanies, accounting for the 12
> extra tones in the Chalmers structure.
>
> >as I've noted, the E.F. genus is symmetrical in the square lattice,
> >while the CPSs and their stellations are symmetrical in the
> >triangular lattice.
>
> And?

By symmetrical I mean "maximally symmetrical". Other than a single
point, a structure can't be maximally symmetrical in both lattices.