Earthquake damage, was Re: National holiday non booty earthquake rain day

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:17:27 -0500

------------
>Brian Trout

This is the part of what I was talking about that I was interested in. Are
the cracks worth "fixing" from a "diminished function" standpoint? I would
think not, unless you can hear evidence of the crack. That makes it
primarily cosmetic, and as such, is it worth tearing the piano down and
patching? Should we be at least as concerned with the possible structural
damage that came in the package with the crack? I would think so, and while
that's not always as visible and obvious as a soundboard crack, it's a heck
of a lot more important under the "diminished function" heading. In the
case of Diane's earthquake damage, I'll have to concede her point. A piano
dancing around in a moving building is another thing altogether from a
piano diving off a stationary truck. It's outside my experience, but
understandable. Shear stress in spruce panels will be different under
repeated shock than when steadily or momentarily applied. I can see how
this might also result in proportionately more damage to the soundboard
than to the structure, where dropping a piano off a truck is just the
opposite, in my experience.

It just seemed to me that "is the soundboard cracked" isn't exactly looking
at the more potentially nasty repercussions.

I'll go away now.

Ron N