Tuning frequency

Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:12:32 +0200

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Richard,
>
> The only thing I have to go on regarding manufacturer recommendations is a brochure
> PTG used to print, and probably still does, that showed most recommended two tunings
> per year.  Am I correct in assuming that when you say many recommend 4 times yearly,
> you mean at least 50% of them?  How many factories are we talking about?  Maybe PTG
> should update its information if it has not already done so.

I must admit I am working off recall memory. It seems to me that at least
half of these were recommendations for 4 times a year. These were from
websites of the respected pianos. There was a list compliled also by the
PTG on the Web as I recall. I think there were 10 to 12 factories listed. I
will look around and see what I can dig up.

> Interesting case (to me, at least):  A local family bought a new studio piano of
> eastern origin.  First tuning by me in March 1999 it was up to 48c sharp, at a time
> when pianos are normally flat.  I pitch-lowered to 10c sharp and tuned it there.
> August 1999, seasonal humidity had taken the piano to 25c sharp; I again tuned it 10c
> sharp.  February this year it was 12c flat.  I'm glad now I didn't tune it to A-440
> the first time I saw it.  As we all know, it REALLY needs humidity control.

Grin... this wouldnt happen to be a Samick would it ?? Sounds very very
familiar in any case..

> I have some clients whose piano hardly gets used at all, and some of these are the
> type who are thinking of tuning "once-every-15-years."  I encourage them to buy at
> least 2-year tunings.  This is the lowest frequency I will call back with reminders
> about service due.  Some of them follow through with this recommendation, and some
> don't.  I have never had another technician agree with me that 2-year tunings are
> acceptable in cases like these, but I'm sticking to it, since I often find these
> pianos with very little change, tuning or otherwise.

I wouldnt aggree either.. :) but I do see your point. And I suppose if you
can get folks who otherwise would wait 5 years or more between tunings then
you have accomplished something. So all in all I wouldnt have any major
objections to a tuner employing this policy.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.