impedance and empericism

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:46:20 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/2000 5:09:08 PM, Marc wrote:

<<Imagine a left-handed thread on a right-handed bolt... NO, WAIT,
THAT'S THE WRONG PROBLEM!!>>

Yeah course it is,.......how can a left handed nut have anything to do with
light being pulled , bent?, toward a gravitational source!!!  :-)

from: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/4317/redaw.html
".................energy change, which manifests
itself as a change in frequency in this case since the speed of light
cannot change, ..............................."

and contradicted by: ( not to mention considerable waffling room :)
"We are assuming that when light slows down, its apparent frequency is
unchanged. However, other assumptions can also be considered."

 Of course Marc, all this applies to light and speeds/distances
incomprehensible to most of us and the question was about sound (pitch)
changing from cold to hot or hot to cold.
 I have an 8" long  X  2" dia. iron rod.......question: will the pitch caused
 by an 'A' fork struck and held onto one end of that rod be attenuated
differently when the rod is 120F and when it is 40F, with the resulting pitch
being measured at the opposite end of the rod in each case ? I'ma gonna be
tries dis in de mornin.
Jim Bryant (FL)