[impedance]

Marc Damashek mdamashek@netscape.net
14 Jun 00 17:20:32 EDT

Bob et al.:

Yes, all of these effects exist to a greater or lesser extent. Engineers and
physicists are the people who exercise informed judgement about which effects
might be significant in the case at hand, make predictions (take action) based
on those judgements, and reconcile the results obtained with the predicted
behavior. This eventually lends a degree of confidence to the model that is
directly related to the agreement between theory and observation, and suggests
what elements of the model might need to be refined.

My fingers raise varying tidal bulges on Betelgeuse when I type, but the
magnitude of the effect isn't big enough be of much practical interest. The
TWANGY!! sound of Indian instruments like sitars and tambouras results from
the fact that they have rounded bridges (the string passes over an arc rather
than a ridge) with a radius of curvature of about 1-2 inches, and when a
vibrating string ascends it lengthens, while when it descends it gets shorter.
This one I *have* simulated, and with no trouble at all what emerges is a
sound just like that of the real instrument. If such bridge effects were
significant on a piano, we would hear them loud and clear (and sometimes do in
a sick piano).

The point is that you only need to push a model as far as measurable random
(not systematic!) discrepancies from the model predictions remain, and no
farther, because once there are no measurable discrepancies there is no way to
test the validity of the model any further. Before we worry seriously about
vibrating bridges, mode coupling, large-amplitude vs. small-amplitude
vibrations, and a host of other plausible physical complications, we need to
apply simple modeling predictions (such as cubic stiffness terms, which give
rise to most of the observed inharmonicity -- conventional stretching) to one
or more real pianos, measure the residual errors in partial frequencies that
remain after these predictions are taken into account, and decide (1) whether
the residuals are systematic, and (2) whether they are acceptably small. This
of course is the question I asked about a week ago (Can we consistently
measure random deviations from smooth stretching?), and the discussion so far
has been terrific.

Marc Damashek
Hampstead, MD