SAT Bat Transplant

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:03:11 -0700

Hey Jim,
	be aware that there is another battery in the SAT II.  It is a Lithium
Ion button cell (quarter sized)  mounted on the internal circuit board.
You have to remove a few small phillips head screws on the outer PC board
to reveal the little feller.  I'm not sure but I do believe that it is
the one which holds memory when the unit is turned off and the power cord
is pulled.   That one being old may lead to the eventual  loss of your
operating system.  IOW's,   it won't work no how.   But you won't get a
low bat signal for that battery.  Some of this is just a guess but I was
once a genuine electronic wiz guy for the US Air Farce.   (Used to be Air
Force but Billy Jeff has pretty much taken the steam out of any military
we had.  Some think that is a good thing but I'd likely disagree with
em.)  The new SAT III uses a different type of chip to hold the OS
software so likely doesn't need this other battery..     Your PC has a
similar battery to hold internal clock and stored BIOS info when the
confuser is unplugged.   On the good side,  with 1200 mah nicads you'll
be able to power not only your SAT but a small city in Ecuador as well.

Dale F

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:24:55 EDT JIMRPT@AOL.COM writes:
> re: Battery replacement on SATII
>
> Well it took longer to worry about than to do it! :-)
> I used 4 AA, 1200mah, ni-cad industrial batteries, some tape solder
> and PVC-E
> glue and the deed is done....my "lo-bat" notice is gone, my memory
> is intact,
> and the new batteries are charging just fine.
>  I believe that my main problem was a severely corroded solder
> connection on
> the negative wire lead and that if I had just cleaned it up and
> resoldered
> the connection everything would have been fine.  But since I had the
>
> batteries and other stuff, and the unit is 4 years old, I decided to
> just go
> ahead and do the transplant.
>  Thanks for the help and encouragement.
> Jim Bryant (FL)