[Re: ETD Question]

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:12:00 -0500

>Hi Ron,
>
>Impedance is a term used in electionics to represent *resistance* in an
>alternating current circuit. As a Sound board is not ususally so electric
>LOL, and as the grey beards and knowledgeable pundits here said it was not
>really quite impedance, I bowed to their superior knowledge.
>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

Hi Don,
Impedance is also a term used in mechanics in a very similar manner, except
it's mechanical energy instead of electrical. Anyway, Edison considered
alternating current to be not quite electricity too. So there! Also, what's
this about pundits? We got pundits??? Why doesn't somebody TELL me these
things? Are you sure they're not just near pundits, or not quite pundits?
How can you tell? In any case, here I stand with all education receptors
wide open, inquiring among such pundits of undetermined verisimilitude as
are available (sorry, I've sesquipedalianed, and I can't get down), as to
the missing portions of the "part of a complete impedance". I recall some
of this going by some while back, but it didn't strike me at the time as a
good enough rationalization to shoot down "impedance" without at least
sticking in a better word or concept (possibly one in a uniform, and with a
mustache), to replace it. True, we couldn't put numbers to the concept to
the fourteenth decimal, but I don't see how that negates the concept.

You depress a piano's pedal with your pedal appendage, don't you? If a word
 can't have more than one usage and meaning, then which one's not quite
correct? If a pedal is depressed with a doctor's pedal appendage in a
hospital day room, is the pedal under clinical depression, or does it
depend on the doctor's temperament? What's the medication schedule for a
clinically depressed pedal? Is Protek in the morning OK?

Heck, with nearly nothing in a piano being what it seems to be if you look
at it close enough, it seems a shame to pick on a handy little concept like
mechanical impedance.

You big bully.

Ron N