Bridge Pin/Epoxy Question

Tony Court Tony_The_Tuner@nationwideisp.net
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:15:15 +0100

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tony Caught=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 8:51 AM
  Subject: Re: Bridge Pin/Epoxy Question

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tony Court <Tony_The_Tuner@nationwideisp.net>
  To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
  Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 4:54 AM

  >          I did do some experiments of my own though, and glued two =
pieces of
  > maple together.........=20
  Hi Tony,

  This has always been a problem with me too.  but to me, it means that =
it is the right stuff for loose tuning pins.  My fear has alway been =
that you are going to lock the tuning pins in and not be able to turn =
them.
   The way I understand that this works is that it gets into the fibres =
of the wood  and thickens them up making the tuning plank more stable. =
Also it forms around the tuning pin and thickens it up as well thus =
making it tight in the hole.
  In your test, did the pin become tighter than before applying CA ?.

  Doesn't Ron N write nicely, wish I could have said that.

  Tony Caught ICPTG
  Australia
  caute@optusnet.com.au

  Hi Tony,
  In general I think you are probably right, I must admit it was not an =
old piece of maple that I did my experiments on.=20
  Yes, the pin did become tighter, but after a few turns, the CA went =
kinda crumbly. I have had some success with proprietary "Pintite" and =
prefer "Quickset", but these will not work on really split dry planks.
  I may look out for a likely suspect to rerun the experiments with CA!

  Yes, Ron N does have an admirably lyrical style, and a jolly good =
sense of humour to go with it!!
  regards,
  Tony